At 5pm on Friday 19th July MOLE 2 will be made unavailable in order to perform a major upgrade. We expect to return upgraded MOLE 2 back into service by 5pm on Friday 26th July.
As this is a prolonged service outage we will keep staff informed of progress as we journey through a sequence of predetermined milestones. These milestones are listed below but timescales cannot be predicted as a complex database upgrade like this will involve a lot of unknowns.
- MOLE 2 will be made unavailable to staff and students (5pm Fri 19th July)
- The underlying Oracle database will be upgraded from version 10 - 11
- A service pack will be applied to upgrade Blackboard from version 8 - 11
- A second service pack will be applied to upgrade Blackboard from version 11 - 12
- A series of settings will be tweaked to maintain the Sheffield-specific user experience
- Sheffield branding will be applied
- A methodical testing programme will verify all key features are working as expected
- MOLE 2 will be returned to service
To track our progress through these milestones follow the @cics twitter or search for #mole2upgrade